Friday, January 28, 2005

Nova Scotia Slang

Bluenose vernacular. Bluenose is slang for Nova Scotian. Vernacular is slang for slang. I made that up. God's Country...a proprietary term to indicate a level of breathtaking beauty and real honest-to-gawd decent folk not to be had anywhere else. I use this one lots. Come from away...refers to anybody who was not born and raised ALL THEIR FREAKING LIFE in Nova Scotia. Fill yer boots...I interpret this to mean "help yourself, take as much as you like". There may be more sinister, sheep-related implications to this however. Kiss my rosy red arse...I attribute this one to a love of alliteration. Petunia...when I was liddle, I called it my "bird" My fave uncle used to call me Petunia, and I HAD NO CLUE. I thought it was because he stuttered like Porky Pig. Oh, me nerves!...meant to indicate a stressful situation. Oh, me fuckin nerves!...this calls for more sympathy than Oh, me nerves!, like when it dawns on you that your favourite uncle was calling you "twat" Nobody likes a smartarse...what the Papa always said to me. Gimme a knife; I'll cut me t'roat...usually said to indicate some unbearable pain for which death is the only solution. Spleeny...I am not making these up, I swear. Means unable to tolerate any pain or hardship. (see above) Twitchy...very irritable, or antsy Hotter than the hinges of hell...brings to mind an image of hell having doors. Temperatures over 80 F are hotter than the hinges of hell. Tits up...same as belly up, but more charmingly Nova Scotian. Sometimes indicates a person who is passed out from drinking Captain Morgan Rum or shine. And my personal favourite...Who pissed in your cornflakes?...are you having a bad day? And why must I be gifted with your lovely mood? return to my homepage

10 Comments:

Blogger Zoe said...

HA! who pissed in your cornflakes is one of my faves!

October 29, 2007 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger palinode said...

Some of these expressions really take me back to my childhood. My all-time favourite from my years in the Lunenburg County trenches was "Oh the Lord dying," which had any number of variants, the best of them being "Oh the dear dying Moses". Misbehaving children were "little Christers". My mother still says Fill Yer Boots all the time, and we haven't lived in Nova Scotia for eighteen years. And don't forget that Nova Scotia is the place where people ask if they can "come with".

Just out of curiosity, what part of Nova Scotia are these sayings from? Sometimes you can drive ten minutes and people seem to be speaking a different language.

November 5, 2007 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I agree! It was like they were speaking a different language when I moved here...

November 5, 2007 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger witchypoo said...

Gosh, it has been so long since I have been here! My shiny new site is now up at http://psychicgeek.com

Palinode, I lived in Greenwood, and in HRM. Were you a Grace baby?
I wanted to ask if your folks were from Portuguese Cove, but that would be too simple, wouldn't it?
We used to call naughty children little jeezlers too.

Daysgoby, if you aren't offended when somebody good naturedly calls you an arsehole, you're golden hereabouts. We don't mean it, we're just funny that way.

November 5, 2007 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Old Knudsen said...

2005? talk about leaving a post up to just get comments.

Yorkshiremen say Yorkshire is God's country but its obviously Dalraida that's God's country.

November 5, 2007 at 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

being a valley gal how about that was some nice....can you hand me the thing a me jiggy...some nice eh..2010 lets keep the old slang eh

June 15, 2010 at 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yorkshire is God's County

November 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A saying i hear all the time since i "Came from away" is "Holy jumpins" and "Holy liftin"

November 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Anonymous gay masturbation stories said...

Fuck me, oh why dont you fuck me. I see my bosss wife is kissing my wife pretty hard while theblack guy on the other side is playing with her legs.
erotic adult taboo stories
predicament bondage stories
forced animal sex stories
horse sex stories
black sex stories post
Fuck me, oh why dont you fuck me. I see my bosss wife is kissing my wife pretty hard while theblack guy on the other side is playing with her legs.

December 3, 2010 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger CaryAsmr said...

What about the phrase " put the boots to 'er" meaning either take off down the road or beat the crap out of someone. In most cases "let's boot 'er" is the short version when referring to leaving someplace.

October 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home